[time-nuts] OCXO and Aging

Paul A. Cianciolo paulc at snet.net
Wed Sep 14 13:00:57 UTC 2011

I have been looking at all of these OCXO's for sale on EBAY.  Most seem to
be coming out of China.
It as if they are scrapping lots of equipment and pulling out the
oscillators.

There are lots of data attached to these auctions.  It seems that for an
OCXO the rate of aging changes with the period of time it has been running.
Typically I see  aging given in "after  continuous operation"  intervals of
30, 60, 90 days with a rate decreases as the period of time increases.

So the questions:

Is this a onetime 30,60,90 day burn in ? Or does this same information apply
to an oscillator that's been on the shelf(or in China waiting to  be sold)
for say 6 months ?

Does aging ever stop?   Does it decrease at a slower rate?

A lot of the oscillators on EBAY you can see the date codes. If there was a
certain model of high quality, all else being equalize would you buy the
oldest unit that might have the most hours on it?

I have a Rakon Double Oven OCXO right now but there seems to be a few made
by Oscilloquartz that look pretty good.

However I don't see any OCXO's that use a Dewar like the FTS unit I had...
Do they show up from time to time?

Thank you

Paul A. Cianciolo
W1VLF
http://www.rescueelectronics.com/

"Time is relative"  Abert Einstien circa 1950
"Relatives use up all my time"  Lisa Cianciolo circa 1983