[time-nuts] OCXO settling my goals What I do have

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Thu Sep 15 01:03:52 UTC 2011

Paul,

As far as shop temperature, I don't think you will have much of a problem,
if it only varies a few degrees +/- over the day. The concern would be if it
got as hot as, or hotter than, the oven temp, which is around 100+ degrees
F., as it's set according to the manufacturer of the OCXO.

What most do, is they mount a thermistor close to the crystal, inside the
same cavity, and that in turn operates the power source for the heater. The
thermistor is the thermostat, and it controls a variable DC supply that
feeds a strip heater surrounding the crystal.

As far as drift after being turned off, I think that has more to do with how
new, or how aged the OCXO is, in how quick it will settle again. I would say
a new unit might have to be left on for some time before it settles, but an
aged one not near as long. A quick check of a frequency counter over a day,
or several, would tell you, and then you can see when it settles back to the
correct value, and starts to stay there over time.

Someone mentioned Dewar flasks earlier, and I am experimenting with them
now. I couldn't find any old wide mouthed flasks, so I bought a large
Thermos brand, (for coffee), and made a narrow board that will fit through
the neck. I have a standard cell that uses a large one, except it has a
glass cork that is evacuated, and the Thermos has a plastic one filled with
insulation, so I don't know how well it will work. Anyhow, these will help
when they are powered down, such as a power failure, as the temperature
takes some time to drop off. I'm actually designing a voltage reference
inside this one.

Will