[time-nuts] OT (well.. speed related, so only half OT) - US vehicle speed limitations

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Tue Sep 20 19:04:38 UTC 2011

Hello,

A friend of me has asked in a cars forum about an imported car from US
(Florida) that appears to have an electronic speed limitation to 130mph.
Usually these cars (a Jaguar XKR) are factory speed limited to 155mph,
like a lot of Mercedes, BMWs and Audis. We would like to know if it is
mandatory in the US, or at least in some US states, to sell cars with
electronic speed limitation at 130mph, or if this limitation is called
by different reasons (e.g. insurance companies)

Thanks! Regards,

Javier