[time-nuts] OT: Time syncing media in HTML5 - from BBC Research

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 1 00:13:13 UTC 2012

On 31/01/12 17:00, David J Taylor wrote:
> "One of the recurring themes of our work over the past few years has
> been synchronising web-based media with audio/video.
>
> "In this first of two technical blog posts on our recent work on P2P
> Next, we explain why and how we implemented the HTML5 media element
> attribute startOffsetTime in Firefox to enable accurate synchronisation
> of out-of-band timestamped metadata with media streamed live to a
> browser over the internet. "
>
> Live streams, sub-titles, why NTP can't be used etc. etc. If you are
> interested, please see:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/researchanddevelopment/2012/01/implementing-startoffsettime-f.shtml

This is really a side-track to the normal time-nuts issues, but it is
interesting to note that there are several formats for audio and video,
lacking the key aspect of time coordination between the signals even if
they is brought in the same transport stream. A bit annoying. The
"development" now allows us even more ways to loose "lip sync" than ever
before.

Cheers,
Magnus