[time-nuts] IEEE1588

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed Feb 1 17:20:16 UTC 2012

Hi

The "gotcha" with a public grandmaster is routing to it. Without 1588
routers / hubs / switches / what ever, the result is compromised. You fall
back into the same routing delay mess as NTP. Since public pretty much means
internet accessible, you would need to upgrade a lot of stuff. Since that
includes the traditional "last mile" gear, it's not a simple proposition at
all. At least in my case, I get more delay from the ends of most connections
than I get from all the routing in-between.

Bob