[time-nuts] Why a 10MHz sinewave output?

Joseph M Gwinn gwinn at raytheon.com
Mon Feb 6 18:59:14 UTC 2012

As mentioned below, the propagation speed of the various harmonics varies.
What also varies is the temperature coefficient of propagation speed.
This, taken with imperfect impedance matches, yields complicated variation
of zero-crossing times with temperature.

The tempcos are particularly large below about 60 MHz, so operation at 100
MHz is helpful.  The ratio of tempcos is about 2:1.

Joe Gwinn

Ref:  “Environmental Effects in Mixers and Frequency Distribution Systems”,
L.M.Nelson and F.L.Walls, NIST, 1992 IEEE Frequency Control Symposium,
pages 831-837.