[time-nuts] Using digital broadcast TV for timing?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 05:13:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM, jerryfi <jerryfi_99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Paul.  You and Bob Camp provided some good updates/info.  It may present enough of a challenge/reward for someone to examine further.  I'm with you on the available time front - too many other projects/commitments to pursue further myself.  I'll be interested if Chris, or someone else, can make some headway though.

OK if not DTV what other common signal that you could pick up without
use of exotic equipment (so this entirely eliminates rotating neutron
starts or "pulsars") what else can you get that has decent timing
other then GPS and CDMA.   I'm not giving up on DTV yet.  The video
signal is compressed so it may be basically white noise but I bet it
is wrapped in some transport like packets that are regular.

In practice GPS works well but a question came up here "What could you
use if GPS went away?"    I said "I bet there is some signal all
around us that just happens to have precision timing embedded in it.
Maybe DTV maybe it's direct broadcast TV.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California