[time-nuts] Using digital broadcast TV for timing?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 18:21:38 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

>> Other than LightSquared, an event that made GPS go away would most likely
>> eliminate most interest in ultra accuracy time keeping.

By "went away", I meant locally,  as be being jammed or spoofed.
Possibly a car drives into a tunnel and then from the car's point of
view GPS "goes away".

>From a military point of view all it takes to knock out GPS is to
suicide truck-bomb both ground control stations or simply jam the GPS
uplinks so the stations are unable to send commands.   But The
question was more theoretical then practical.

> But this is time nuts.
>
> I think it's interesting to consider where we might get a second source of
> time or frequency frequency.  How good is it?  What does it cost?  How much
> can amateurs do?
>
> Maybe something will work where GPS doesn't.
>
> I was going to try GPS in a big machine room but we didn't get that far.  It
> didn't work in the adjoining office complex.  I assume there was too much
> metal in the building. but EMI from all the local PCs probably didn't help
> much.
>

> --
> These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's.  I hate spam.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California