[time-nuts] science projects

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 10 01:12:46 UTC 2012

Yes, a fun project, and a fine physics lab exercise.  But not a good
science fair project because it doesn't meet the "originality" bar.

This is something that I confess I had a hard time figuring out what
that meant when I was entering science fairs... as it happened, my
projects *were* original (reviewed in retrospect), but I couldn't figure
out how you'd evaluate it at the time.

In general, if the general idea for a project came from a published list
or book, that would be ok. But if the method of attacking the problem
also came from a book or the web, that wouldn't.

So a good topic to prompt projects would be "Measure the speed of light
in a novel way".

If you were to do Roemer's technique from the 17th century, but do it in
a clever way (webcams, telescopes, etc.) I think that would do ok in the
junior division at least.  (i.e. removing the human measurement element
is a good experimental refinement on the basic technique).

Or if you were to use some other extra terrestrial event as the
predictable time hack at a varying distance.

Here's a wild one.. Set up  detectors some distance apart where an
Iridium Flash will be visible (http://www.heavens-above.com/)  The flash
comes from the satellite, and the path length to the two detectors will
be different, so you will see the pulse at a different time.  By knowing
the distance between the detectors and the angular displacement of the
image with reference to something, you could figure out the distance to
the satellite, and therefore, the difference in propagation distance
between satellite and each sensor.

But these wouldn't hack it in Senior division.