[time-nuts] Any spare switches for Racal-Dana 1992?

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Tue Feb 21 23:52:57 UTC 2012

I wrote:

>>Speaking from extensive experience, if you need 2 now, plan on needing
>>somewhere between 5 and 31 more over the next year or two.

Stewart replied:

>That is my experience.
>I never managed to find any exact replacements here in England
>so I ended up replacing the mechanism with some SMT switches
>and using a probe to press them.

And unfortunately, the parts units you find for sale invariably have
bad switches.  I have more than once tried to use switches from a
donor unit to repair a 1992, and they have all promptly failed during
post-op testing.  In one case, six successive switches failed within
five presses after I installed them (that was way back before I
figured out that you can replace the innards from the front, when I
was desoldering and replacing the switches whole).

Best regards,

Charles