[time-nuts] Neutrinos not so fast? (defectove connector)

Javier Serrano javier.serrano.pareja at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 08:42:29 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> 20m of extra fiber sounds *much* more plausible.
>
> Inventing an excuse about a loose connector to cover up the mistake
> sounds even more plausible.
>
> You really don't want to defend your phd dissertation, being known
> as the idiot who made a fool of both CERN and SanGrasso in one go.

PHK come on, you can do much better than this :)

I am sorry guys. I really owe this list a lot of knowledge and I try
to give back every time I have an opportunity, but I will not be able
to react to all suppositions in real-time. Also I am not even a
completely reliable source of information myself because these things
have been found in OPERA, and I only know of them indirectly. I only
have two points:

- Delays in fiber connections can be modified because of changes in
input power (due to improper screwing), which turn into delay changes
via the input capacitance of the photo-diode. This only has an effect
on the final result if the calibration was conducted with the proper
screwing (sure) and the experiment with improper screwing (not sure).
- OPERA and CERN have followed the scientific method in an exemplary
way all throughout the process. The published information is the
result of a leak and has two problems: a) it's incomplete and b) it's
too soon to publish anything meaningful, it would have been much
better to study the effects of the two issues found, quantify them and
then go public. Maybe there is virtually no effect on the final
result, who knows.

So please stay tuned for proper information. That's all I can say for now.

Cheers,

Javier