[time-nuts] 5680A what is a reasonable case temp ?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 19:42:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Pete Lancashire
<pete at petelancashire.com> wrote:
> I'm ready to mount on of my 5680A in a case and looking for suggestions on
> what one would consider a reasonable maximum case temp. Not being
> a blood sucking cell provider,  I can't replace a dead one every year.

I think in practice you are going to need to mount the 5680 to an
aluminum plate at least twice the size of the 5680 and then keep a
moderate airflow over the top and bottom.  Perhaps mount the  plate
using standoffs.   It's clear to me from seeing all those screws that
the 5680 needs to be firmly connected to some kind of heat sink even
it only a large plate.

> Eventually I see locking the 5680A to GPS if that changes what one would

Yes you pretty much have to calibrate the 5680.   But what do you mean
"if that changes"?  the 5680 will drift away from any calibration.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California