[volt-nuts] 3458A Questions - The Sequel

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Oct 29 16:35:52 UTC 2011

In message <E1456C1FE8F84D2296B979A3A0F1C614 at S0028384766>, "J. L. Trantham" wri
tes:

>The key sequence is 'Menu' (shift, E), 'R' (shift, Trig), scroll down (down
>arrow) to 'REV?' then hit 'Enter'.  Mine returns 8,2.

That means you have software version 8 on the main processor and
rev 2 on the microcontroller on the analog side.

Highest I've heard about are 9 & 2.

>I looked at the picture of the boards on the Agilent website and the Option
>001 version of the A5 board shows 6 EPROM's that appear to be in sockets
>with 4 chips installed in U123 - U126, also appearing to be in sockets.  The
>non Option 001 A5 board shows the single EPROM, soldered in, but with empty
>sockets at U123 - U126.  =

Opt 1 is just extra (volatile) RAM, a couple of standard RAM-chips will
do that for you, if you think you need it.

The six vs. one eprom is just that: one big instead of six smaller ones,
the functional change is the contents (typically rev8 vs rev9)

I don't know if rev9 can be put in 6 eproms, but I suspect it could,
if somebody sends me a dump (do it via HPIB) I'll be happy to find out.