[volt-nuts] 3458A Questions - RAM size opt. 01

Frank Stellmach frank.stellmach at freenet.de
Sat Oct 29 22:58:37 UTC 2011

>Frank,

>Thanks.  That's what I was looking for.  On mine (No Options), I get '20480,
>  14152'.

>  When I input 'OPT?' I get 'OPT 0,0' which is what I would expect.  I wonder
>  if I just install the RAM, would it return an indication that Option 001 was
>  installed?  Somehow, I think that it would need a change in the EPROM.

>  Joe

Joe,

just tested that, I really get 'OPT 1,0' on OPT? query!

You definitely have to place the RAMs only, and its done.

I remember, 20 years ago in 1990 @ university, I was allowed to order this brand new DMM for a lump of money..
I needed additional buffer for digitzing, but was too cheap to order originally from HP.
Then, I was very anxious to install those RAMs without asking my professor for approval, which he never would have given, because he was acting more mechanically than electronically .
But it worked instantly, as hoped for.
So, just do it.

Now I wonder, how to activate option 02, reading perhaps as 'OPT 1,2' (not documented) as I now also have - by design - a high stability reference inside.

I think, there was an unused, or strange pin on the LTZ ref. board..let's see.

Frank