[time-nuts] 10811-60105 and -60111

buehl buehl at superlink.net
Tue Aug 17 13:33:15 EDT 2004

HI all:

I'm not so heavily into 'time', but do dabble in control circuits/ systems.

The limiting factor is going to be the ON-OFF temp delta of the internal
ovens.  The raising of the external temp (with your external heaters) will
delay the time it takes for the internal to cool off and turn on; However,
once the internal oven turns ON, it will stay on until the temp rises
enough to turn it off.  This temp change is beyond your control.

What you have gained is a very slow cooling, thus less short term drift
during the cooling half of the cycle.  This is the reason Poul-Henning Kamp
found passive insulation to be just as good as an external heater; He has
slower cooling.

To outperform the original regulation, you need to enclose within an
external oven which is a degree warmer than the TURN-ON temp of the
internal (original).  Then you have control, but you need to design a
regulator better than the original.  You would place your temp sensor on
the outer case of the original oven:  This gives you a system similar to
the 'aluminum block' system Poul-Henning Kamp found on the net.

Tom Buehl