[time-nuts] Tiny Atomic Clock

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sun Aug 29 13:26:34 EDT 2004

Hi John:

It's cool.  There is a major project in the U.S. military to develop a
small and inexpensive clock.  There are a number of companies working on
both Cs and Rb versions.  Note that the SINCGARs and Have Quick mil
radios use frequency hopping, not for security, but for anti jam and
anti DF reasons, and now use GPS receivers to set the clock in each
radio.  If the radios had good clocks they would not need to be set so
often.  This application also requires low power to keep the clock
running.  So my guess is that these frequency standards are targeted for
this application.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke, N6GCE

--