[time-nuts] Interesting Phase Bump...

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Nov 24 16:47:27 EST 2004

I've attached a phase plot of my 5065A vs. GPS 1pps from a Motorola
UT+.  There's an interesting bump in the phase -- for the first two days
and the last five days, the offset is about -7x10e-13.  But for about
four days in the middle there's a flattening and then increase in
relative phase to about +3x10e-13, then a return to the original offset.

As far as I know, there was no local change to account for the bump --
temperature in the basement didn't change too much (though unfortunately
my temp recording system is down at the moment) and neither the
standard, the GPS, nor the time interval counter were changed in any way.

I'm assuming that the phase change was in the Rb and not the GPS (or the
GPS constellation), but I don't know that for sure.  What's particularly
interesting is that the offset returned to just about the original rate
and not to something different -- I would have thought that something
changing in the 5065A wouldn't result in a return to the same offset.

Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this change?

Thanks!

John