[time-nuts] Difference between HP 5370A and 5370B

jim_johnson at agilent.com jim_johnson at agilent.com
Fri Apr 15 13:16:19 EDT 2005

Hi again David,

   I talked to xxxxx this morning and here's what
he said:

The 5370B has a different processor board than the
"A" model, with on-board RAM (the "A" had a separate
RAM board).  The "B" has had an upgrade to its DAC
board.  The "B" has a different input module that is
more stable than in the "A".  The firmware has had an
upgrade in the "B", as the HPIB (GPIB) would occasionally
hang up in the "A" model.  The bad news is that the
newer firmware carries the same rev. number as the old one
so you can't easily tell which one you have installed.
Very early units of the "A" model had non-ovenized
oscillators in them.  Later versions had the ovenized
HP 10544 oscillator, followed by the newer HP 10811
oscillator, and it is believed that all "B" models have
the 10811 oscillator (ovenized).  In an "A", it is easy
to tell whether you have an ovenized oscillator or not.
Turn the counter off for a couple of minutes and then
re-apply power.  All units with ovenized oscillators in
them will show an asterisk on the front panel, indicating
the oven is warming up.  The non-ovenized units have no
asterisk.

   So, that's about it - hope this was helpful.  Have
a nice weekend!

Regards,
Jim
Agilent Laboratories