[time-nuts] Zeeman frequency and cesium tube interchange

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Fri Apr 22 13:32:35 EDT 2005

Hi Brian,

The SI second is defined for mean sea level and no
external fields.

If there were no magnetic field, in theory, a cesium
tube would show a resonance when its synthesizer
generated exactly 9192.631770 MHz; the definition
of the second.

But in practice, a weak uniform magnetic field is
necessary for the beam apparatus to operate; to
isolate the center peak from the other peaks. This
DC field also has the side-effect of slightly shifting
the frequency of the center line.

Fortunately the frequency shift is a calculatable
amount (a function of magnetic field strength) so
the trick is that the synthesizer must be designed
to generate a slightly higher frequency to exactly
compensate for the shift that will be induced by
the field.

Thus the synthesizer for a 5061A does not actually
generate 9192 631 770 Hz as one might expect,
but because of the nominal 61 milligauss C-field,
the synthesizer must generate 9192 631 771.6 Hz
in order to lock onto the Cs peak precisely. The
Zeeman frequency for 61 mG is 42.82 kHz (info
from an old 5061A manual).

Other 5061A/B use a 76 mG field, corresponding
to a 53.53 kHz Zeeman frequency, and require the
synthesizer to generate 9192 631 772.5 Hz (info
from a new 5061B manual).

The short HP 5062C runs at 9192 631 774.3 Hz
with a Zeeman of 70.40 kHz.

Below is a great reply from Corby Dawson about
the problems this can cause when mixing FTS
4050, 4060, HP 5060A, 5061A, 5061B parts.

/tvb