[time-nuts] Phase noise measurements - getting started.

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Sun Apr 24 10:43:00 EDT 2005

One thing you may consider is multiplying your source and reference up to a
much higher frequency and then mixing them together, using the mixer as a
phase detector, to a low frequency for measurement. Problem being is that
the phase noise of most modern oscillators, somewhat removed from the
carrier, is way way down and most often below the noise floor of the
instrument used to try ad measure it. Of course another question is where
does the carrier stop and the noise starts? Naturally it all depends on the
intended application. Keep in mind the 20*log(N)factor. So, if you take a 10
MHz oscillator and multiply it to 1 GHz the phase noise will have increased
by 40 dB/Hz, a much easier to measure number. Of course you do have to be
careful to make sure that the noise contribution of your multipliers is
minimal, and, fortunately it usually is. 73 - Mike

Mike B. Feher, N4FS
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731
732-886-5960