[time-nuts] What are people paying for Stanford PRS10 rubidium standards?

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Wed Apr 27 03:06:19 EDT 2005

David Andersen wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2005, at 7:55 PM, David Kirkby wrote:
>
>> Just interested how much people have paid for them. At the minute
>> there are several on eBay at $475 from the one seller. Is that a
>> typical price, or am I likely to do a bit better than that if I wait?
>

> It's probably reasonable.  It's not a steal.

Thanks. I decided I could wait no longer and so bought one. Before
buying, I asked if it came with the plug, thinking to myself he must
have them, and perhaps will throw one in. That worked.

> Unfortunately for you,
> that seller (glossa7) knows what s/he's doing.

Strange though s/he replied they would end the auction early if I bid,
so it was effectively a "buy it now". Although it had more than a day to
go. Perhaps he choses not to pay the buy it now fees, so just ends
auctions.

> I've bid against him on
> several items, and he typically bids immediately at a reasonable price
> level on the items.

I personally usually bid at the end, but

> It was very frustrating when I was buying old HP
> counters to strip out their oscillators.  People kept wanting to
> actually pay a reasonable price for them...

I know the feeling. My biggest hassle is shipping charges, which
generally adds quite a bit. Luckily he is quite reasonable on that, but
my time-interval counter was $150 or so just to ship.

> You probably won't regret paying $475 - they're about 3x that new - but
> it's on the edge of what I'd pay for a surplus Rb oscillator.

I have seen rubidiums quite a bit cheaper, but the Stanford is still
sold new, compact, the manual looks good. It's said to have a design
life of 22 years, which is twice some of the much older units on eBay.

I've bought several things from Stanford and never had a problem.
There's a good possibility I will buy a 200MHz lock-in for work, if the
UK dealer can find a sensible price for me.

> On the
> bright side, that seller _does_ seem to know what he's doing, and I've
> seen him on ebay for a long time, so I'd believe him when he says that
> the oscillator is working perfectly.

Someone else has just commented he is not so good, but his feedback
seems pretty good, so I guess there are not too many dissatisfied
customers.
-
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB