[time-nuts] GPS Serial Data Causes Mouse Pointer to Move

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Wed Apr 13 14:42:53 EDT 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:10:24 -0700, Brooke Clarke <brooke at pacific.net>
wrote:

>When Windows powers up it sees the GPS serial data on COM1 and thinks it's
>"New Hardware" and installs a driver for a serial ball pointing device.

This one has been annoying me for years. I'd be really interested to
hear if you find a configuration solution for this in Windows; I never
found a solution other than not having it connected on boot. Are you
using a USB to serial adapter to connect?

I have been using a GPS attached to a notebook in my car with a USB to
serial device. I see this problem all the time on several notebooks and
(I think) XP prior to SP2. I have also tried different brands of
USB-serial adapters. I think it's common to all versions of Windows, at
least since Win 2K.

I think I have seen this problem with my Z3816A too.