[time-nuts] homebrew atomic reference oscillator?

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Apr 19 04:11:35 EDT 2005

Robert Aurand wrote:
> Thanks all for you opinions.   I had never considered hydrogen or ammonia masers as a do-it-yourself project.   Seems like this could keep me busy for quite a while!
> Bob

I don't know about hydrogen or amonia MASERs, but there was an article
in the "Amateur Scientist" part of "Scientific America" once about how
to make your own CO2 LASER. I know it used a fire extinguisher for the
source of CO2!! Given CO2 LASERs are powerful and invisable (wavelength
= 10.7um), I doubt that sort of thing would be published today for
amateurs to do!!

The MASER was in fact invented before the LASER and I have some
reconllection it was an amonia MASER, but I may be wrong on that. Need
to leave in 5 mins to get a train, so no time to check the web.

 From reading what others have said, I can't help feeling trying to make
your own Rb or Cs source is a bit of a waste of time really, but then
one could say the same about doing jigsaw puzzles, only to put htem back
in the box, yet my Dad loves doing them!!

Dr. David Kirkby,

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/
of if you live in Essex http://www.southminster-branch-line.org.uk/