[time-nuts] 2100f lcd display

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Wed Apr 20 14:42:33 EDT 2005

Hi George,

There are two problems with the 2100 families front panel.  The LCD,
and the keybuttons.  The keybuttons were not properly debounced for the
long haul.  As the switches get older, the bounce time increases and the
keypad logic starts to generate multiple switch entries for each press.
The fix is to replace the two 1uf tantalum caps on the front panel (C5 and C2) with
good quality 2-5uf tantalum caps (ceramic would be better).

The LCD's are just plain defective.  They use pins that are clipped onto the
glass of the LCD, and the connection has degraded over time.  There isn't much
you can do about it.  Sometimes resocketing the LCD will help most of the time
it won't.  I have found that running the unit improves the display, for what it
is worth.  The display should be available somewhere off the shelf, Austron didn't
order it custom.

Also note, there are two different styles of LCD used.  One has a glass front,
and the other has a soft plastic front.  Which is yours? (just press your finger
on the front if the display gets swirly, it is the soft...)

-Chuck