[time-nuts] Re: HP 10811A vs 10811-60111

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Sat Apr 23 15:56:07 EDT 2005

The seller should give you the 10811A that you
bid on and won.

In general there is a difference between a 10811A
and a 10811-60111. The 10811A meets all the
specs on the data sheet and the 10811-60111
has relaxed specs. These -60111 are often found
in medium performance frequency counters such
as the 5328A where some of the 10811A specs
have little or no relevance.

My guess is rather than design multiple OCXO
types, HP designed one really good one and then
used the results of manufacturing performance
tests to determine which units should go to into
which products.

For example, it would be a waste to put a 10811
with well above average phase noise performance
in a frequency counter that only needs an OCXO
for a precise 1 second gate.

I suspect most other companies do the same for
high-end OCXO.

This is not to say the 10811-60111 that you have
is bad; nor that the 10811A that you should have
received is guaranteed to be better. These are old,
surplus oscillators and a lot can happen in the 20
or 30 years since they came off the manufacturing
line. I've seen some -60111 that test really well
and some 10811A that are in really bad shape.

If you're a bottom feeder in the surplus oscillator
market like the rest of us the only way to know
the performance is to test what you get for the
few parameters you're interested in. A few eBay
sellers do performance tests (such as accuracy
or drift rate) but most sell as-is.

/tvb