[time-nuts] Brooks Shera's GPS standard or HP Z3801A??

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 26 10:46:21 EDT 2005

The SRS is actually looking more and more attractive I must say, mainly
because of its size (the Z3801A is not small), and the long holdover
period if I can't get a GPS signal - which is quite likely.

I'm tempted to take this in stages, using a reasonably large box, giving
room for a number of items. My thoughts are:

1) Buy the SRS PRS10 and assume that is *right* for the purpose of the
inital aim, which was to sync my pendulum clock. Errors in the rubidium
source should be small.

I'll leave the GPS initially - I have a lot of expenses at the minute.

2) Put some sealed lead acid batteries for backup - I suffer a lot of
power failures at home. A friend has offered me a charger for 24V
batteries.

3) Sync the pendulum clock to a crystal (either TCXO or perhaps an OCXO)
- the latter being a bit over the top. This is going to be the hard
part, especially as I will need a PIC to get 1 point something Hz, and I
have not used PICs before.

This will go in its own box.

5) Add an HP 10811A + Brooks Shera board to get low phase noise,
syncing *not* to GPS, but to the PRS10. I have all the bits for the
Brooks Shera board (apart from a few cheap ICs), so the cost in doing
this is small.

6) Finally add a GPS, which should give me the low phase noise of the
10811A, with a decent holdover time from the PRS10 if there is no GPS
signal.

I suspect I could fit that lot (apart from 3 which I want sepparte) in a
3U rack.

I'd need to synchonise the power-up of the two ovens as the power supply
I have (24V, 2.4A) would not be capable of starting both ovens at the
same time. The PRS10 take 2.2A on startup, but only 0.6A when running.
Hence the 2.4A power supply should be okay in running both the PRS10 and
the HP 10811A, but *not* starting them together.

Any thoughts on that sort of idea above?

Any obvious flaws?? Apart from the fact it is getting more and more
expensive, and less and less related to the initial aim of making a
couple of hundred year old pendulum clock more accurate!!!

Dr. David Kirkby