[time-nuts] Upper limit on phase noise from two oscillators.

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Wed Apr 27 07:08:55 EDT 2005

If I have two different oscillators (HP 10811A & 10811-60111) can I work
out an *upper* limit of the phase noise on one of the oscillators. I
think I can, but will not know what oscillator is the worst.

My feeling is that if I use the mixer method, any noise measured must be
the maximum possible noise from the worst of the two oscillators, since
I would never get any more even if one was noiseless.

That would allow me to determine if one is performing very badly.

I think I am right on this, but confirmation would be nice.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/