[time-nuts] Low cost synchronization

John Day johnday at wordsnimages.com
Thu Aug 18 15:04:25 EDT 2005

A couple of points here.

Yes, a 10MHz oscillator will severely blast the budget - power wise. But
you should remember that 10MHz is also not actually a good frequency for
temperature coefficient of crystals - except for SOME SC cut types.
Generally speaking the zero tempco rollover frequency for many SC's and
most AT's is between 4.5 and 5.5MHz. You can actually get very good
tempco's by running two oscillators either 500kHz or 1MHz apart and mixing
them. Mounted in a thermal mass but without an oven they will oven give
better than TCXO and moderate oven type performance.

Real time temperature compensation is actually quite common. In several
radio applications I have designed systems using two techniques.

1.. Have the manufacturer supply AT crystals with carefully controlled cut
angles - for a given cut angle the tempco will not vary much. Then use a
simple compensation table based on angle.

2.. Learn the crystal characteristics. In a couple of chamber runs measure
the characteristics of each crystal. You probably only need to do 20
temperatures to cover -10 to +60C. Work out the slope and using some nice
interpolation algorithm work out a correction table. Then voltage control
the Xtal osc to keep the frequency on target.

#2 works well enough that a pretty standard crystal will deliver TCXO or
better performance because very few TCXO's use active compensation.

But really, can we fit all of this ins key fob? Nope! I suspect in the best
research tradition the OP needs to look at WHY his application demands
synchronization at this sort of level. In one project where my client
initially asked for timing accuracy of this order, we found that we could
collect data with timestamps and temperatures, and when we looked at the
logger and the data we could measure the offset for a particular logger and
then back correct the timestamps on the data. In that case we used a
correction system like #1 above, but we had something like 150x50x10mm to
work in, not a key fob!

John