[time-nuts] Low cost synchronization

Mike Ciholas mikec at ciholas.com
Thu Aug 18 20:00:34 EDT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >2. WWVB Receiver
>
> This is probably the most feasible means.

Yes, I concur for at least the US.  A 60KHz will get us US,
something in England, and Japan (decoding software needs to be
different, but not the radio parts).  Maybe that's good enough.

> The company used to be called "Temic", not sure if they are
> still called that.

I've found two:

http://www.mas-oy.com/archive/da9180.pdf

This looks like the winning solution.  Here is the TEMIC:

http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/Temic/mXyzuryv.pdf

This seems to not be as well supported.

If anybody knows any more, please let me know.

I have disassembled several WWVB watches.  Of course, they are
all COB (chip on board), but just from the chip dimensions, I
know the chips they use (and the WWVB part seems to be separate
from the watch logic otherwise) aren't either one of the above.
Strange.  Must be a high volume bare die house somewhere that is
doing this.

Our concept might well benefit from COB due to our volumes
(>10,000, perhaps millions).

--
Mike Ciholas                            (812) 476-2721 x101
CIHOLAS Enterprises                     (812) 476-2881 fax
255 S. Garvin St, Suite B               mikec at ciholas.com
Evansville, IN 47713                    http://www.ciholas.com