[time-nuts] Re: Power lines and time

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Aug 22 11:25:44 EDT 2005

Hi Alberto,

The US is replacing meters too, but they are still "Ferraris" electromechanical
meters with electronic readouts.  The power grid will still need to be kept
to a reasonable accuracy for the meters to read with a reasonable accuracy.

The Ferraris type meter (G. Ferraris died 3 years before anyone patented
an electric power meter...)  has been refined to a point where its ultimate
accuracy is 0.01%, but that requires the frequency to be held to a similar
degree of precision.

We have probably allowed this discussion to stray a little far from
"precise time...measurement"  I think I'll rein in my end of things...

-Chuck Harris