[time-nuts] Synchronisation using GPS

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Mon Aug 8 15:02:00 EDT 2005

From: "Shaun Doughty" <s.doughty at ee.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: [time-nuts] Synchronisation using GPS
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 13:24:14 +0100

Shaun,

> Hello, I am currently looking at GPS as a possible way of synchronising
> transmission/reception within a radar network.  I was wondering if anyone
> had perhaps previously used GPS to synchronise various locations in this way
> (mine will likely be a couple of km apart max) and if there were any
> recommended receiver models that might be suitable for this purpose.

The VLBI community excells at this. Look at what they are doing.

> Ideally something approaching differential location accuracy of <1m with
> synchronisation error between receiver locations of <5ns would be do-able;
> has anyone ever undertaken anything similar?

Relative timing like that should certainly be doable using the right equipment
and right setup. People that do this uses Geodesic receivers such as
Ashtech Z12 and a good antenna.

With the relative proximity of only a few km away, the common view aspect will
correlate quite well.

Using terms like "common view" and "Ashtech Z12" you will Google yourself to
alot of usefull information. You should harvest the archives of NIST, PTTI etc.
for good articles on the topic.

This in addition to Toms M12+ links should surely help you to get a better
understanding.

Cheers,
Magnus