[time-nuts] Re: Power lines and time

Alberto di Bene dibene at usa.net
Mon Aug 22 10:23:49 EDT 2005

Chuck Harris wrote:

> A 10% variation in line frequency would cause a 10% variation in power
> consumption registered.  Induction type power meters will remain accurate
> with a 10% variation in power line voltage, however.
>
> Someday, our utilities will convert all of our meters to solidstate
> units which might
> not be so frequency sensitive, but that will be a few hundred billion
> dollars from now.

In Italy, almost all of the meters have been replaced by solid state
units, which are read remotely through signalling on the power lines. I
feared that would have meant an increase in radio noise (I am a
radioamateur), but so far I haven't noticed any. This system has the
advantage that now the electrical company can apply different rates
between day and night, without needing that the meter itself is able to
keep the count of the time. At the start of each period a remote command
changes  the rate.

73  Alberto  I2PHD