[time-nuts] Re: Accuracy of a sound card

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Aug 22 19:00:13 EDT 2005

National Instruments sells (or at one time, sold) GPIB adapters that will
connect to any port on your PC, including USB, parallel, RS-232, the drain
in your bathtub, you name it.  They are definitely the way to go.

There are certain OS limitations; for instance, NT-based versions of Windows
including 2K and XP don't support the ISA cards, so you'll have to use Win9x
or Me with those if you want to use Windows.

Most of the drivers are free at www.ni.com, but not all; I'm not sure, for
instance, if the USB drivers are.  Make sure you can get the drivers, and
that they will work with your OS, before you buy.

PCI-GPIB cards aren't really all that pricy -- I see several completed
auctions that closed at less than $150.  That's about what I paid for mine.

-- john, KE5FX