[time-nuts] Administrivia -- non-subscriber postings

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Dec 15 15:11:31 EST 2005

We've been getting more and more messages submitted from addresses not
subscribed to the list.  The vast majority of them are spam, and it's
becoming time consuming to go in and delete them.

So, effective shortly I'm going to change the list configuration to
discard posts from non-subscribers rather than hold them for me to
review.  I *think* but am not certain that I can configure things to
send the submitter a note saying that they need to post from a
subscribed address.

So, once again, please remember that the list will only accept messages
from subscribed email addresses.  If you subscribed as jimbob at ieee.org,
but your messages appear to come from j.r.dobbs at downhome.net, you won't
be able to post.  To get around this, you can create an additional
subscription for the "post-from" address and use the web options page to
set that address to "nomail" so you won't receive multiple copies of
messages.

Speaking of subscriptions, time-nuts is now up to nearly 200 members.
I'm amazed that the list has grown to this extent.  While we've
generally remained a very collegial group (the occasional leap-second
discussion notwithstanding!), it's worthwhile to keep in mind that your
postings here are being read by a substantial number of people from
around the world.

Happy holidays to all.  I'll be raising a toast* at 31/12/2005 23:59:60.
  How about you?

John

* and running a webcam aimed at my WWVB receiver