[time-nuts] Happy Leap Second!

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Dec 31 19:18:51 EST 2005

You can pop the corks now -- only the mundanes wait for local time.

I had pretty good success with the recordings -- I have audio of WWVB,
CHU, and WWV on both 5 and 10MHz.  I also have data logs from the
Spectracom 8170 WWVB receiver and Z3801A, as well as a dump of the
system time on a Linux NTP box with Z3801A driving the shared memory
refclock (using the program that was posted on the ntp mailing list a
few hours ago).

Interestingly, the 8170 did *not* pick up the leap second right at
midnight UTC.  It took about five minutes for the display to retard by
one second compared to the Rb clock.  I haven't dug through the data log
yet to see how the serial output reacted.  So although I was snapping
away, I didn't get my picture of 23:59:60 :-(.

As Poul-Henning requested, I'm doing two hours of audio recording (well,
I got started about 3 minutes 30 seconds after 23:00) and will make that
available to anyone who wants to examine the timecodes.

John