[time-nuts] Looking for an HP K34-59991A Linear Phase Comparator

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at EWI.TUDelft.nl
Wed Dec 7 07:40:45 EST 2005

Hi Robert,

It is an interesting problem. I have been looking in it for some time as
well. Planned to build such a phase-comparator myself.... no real
schematics yet, due to a lack of time :-(  (or maybe too many interests....)

To get a nice 50% duty cycle, you need more than just a D-Flip-Flop...
Probably you already figured that out. You need to synchronise the 50%
pulses with either the positive or the negative edge of your incoming
original signal. This would mean, that your frequency is at least
divided by a factor 4.

For the analog part:
You could consider using a limiter-like circuit, like the ones which are
used in FM-detector IC's. The input signal will be amplified till it
clips. The only interesting parameter is the zero-crossing, which could
be detected by a comparator. (Compare the signal to ground). However, a
slightly distorted (or noisy) sine wave will produce an error as well...
A distortion/noise in your inputsignal will always distort your
measurement. This makes me wonder if it really pays off to use very
fast/high-grade components. Did you do any calculations to estimate the
phase error (not the constant one), which will be introduced by certain
components?

A general question: what kind of signals do you want to compare/measure
the phase? 10 MHz, 10 kHz, 1 pps, .....???? Square, sine-wave???

Best regards, Jeroen PE1RGE

Ing. Jeroen Bastemeijer

Delft University of Technology
Department of Electrical Engineering