[time-nuts] Spectracom WWVB Leapsecond Handling

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Dec 31 20:41:53 EST 2005

Tim Shoppa said the following on 12/31/2005 07:32 PM:

> This was recorded from outside Washington DC on 10MHz. Propogation was
> better than average.  20MHz had been coming in pretty solid through
> the late afternoon but it really plummeted about half an hour before
> the leap second, and 15MHz wasn't awfully good today.

I recorded both 5 and 10MHz and saw 10MHz fade out sometime after 0000Z,
while 5MHz stayed very solid.  I was also seeing 15 and 20MHz earlier in
the afternoon, but guessed that they would both disappear before the
magic hour.  But at about 3:30EST, 15MHz was a really beautiful signal.

I used a Gap Titan ground mounted multi-band ham vertical antenna here
in Dayton, OH.

John