[time-nuts] Interesting Plot -- Cs vs multiple GPS

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Feb 28 20:35:57 EST 2005

This weekend I finally got my new counter system rack mounted, cabled,
and programmed.  In addition to the HP 5370B counter I've been using,
I've added three HP 5334A counters which have 2ns single-shot resolution
(and a 100 sample average mode).  I wrote a GPIB program that will read
all three counters so I can do multiple simultaneous measurements.

My first experiment is to measure the HP 5061A against my two Z3801A
standards plus a raw GPS (from a Motorola UT+).  Here's a plot showing
the results so far.

It's interesting to see how many of the peaks and valleys more-or-less
track one another in time across all three devices, but with different
amplitudes.  I *think* that means we're seeing effects of GPS rather
than noise on the Cesium -- if it were the 5061A, I'd expect to see more
precise tracking as well as the same noise amplitude on all three
traces.  Am I wrong in that assumption?

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting set of data and pass it on for
your amusement.

John