[time-nuts] Is my Cs C-Field set OK or do I need to take more data?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Jan 10 18:23:13 EST 2005

Brooke Clarke wrote:

> Although there's a connector on the FTS4060/S24 marked Zeeman, neither
> the hardware nor the manual I have talks about it in any way.  How can
> I use the Zeeman input?

Brooke, I'm just learning about this stuff and haven't read up on the
physics yet, but the Zeeman input is a low frequency signal (for HP,
53.53kHz if I recall correctly) that you inject into the standard.  You
open the control loop and tune the C field to peak the I current (there
are several minor peaks and one main one).  If you don't have access to
GPS or another reference, this is the way to adjust the C field to
compensate for local factors.  Using GPS is more accurate, though.

John