[time-nuts] Z3816a and newbie questions

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Sun Jan 9 02:42:47 EST 2005

Hello,

I just joined this list a few days ago. I have checked out K8CU's
(great) pages and a few other references, but I may have missed some
info.

A couple weeks ago I obtained a Z3816a (it has an MTI 260 OCXO) and set
it up. I also got a copy of GPSCon software which I have been running. I
first brought it up just after Christmas. It locked up fine in less than
an hour and I think it seems to be working ok. Just in the last few
days, the EFC seems to finally be nearing horizontal.

Specs I have seen on the Z3801a for 10 MHz output are only 1 x 10^-9 per
day. Looking at a link to NIST from www.realhamradio.com it seems that
something around 10^-12 might be closer to possible.  I almost always
have 8 satellites; never seen less than 6.

About what accuracy can I reasonably expect from this unit? Is there
anything in the GPSCon statistics that gives me a better real grasp on
accuracy of my 10 MHz?

I connected an active antenna with a random length of RG-213 from my
garage. On GPSCon, C/N readings are 40's to low 50's. Is this adequate?
Should I consider trying to improve it? Sometime in the next couple of
weeks I want to move everything to a more permanent location, so if the
feed cable is worth improving, I would like to do that.

I have a couple other questions, but I will save that for other
messages.

Thanks to everyone who makes this list possible. Sorry if this is a
repeat of common questions.