[time-nuts] Offerings several PTS synthesizers for sale

bobhome bobhome at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 11 10:01:02 EST 2005

Hi folks,

I'm selling several PTS frequency synthesizers that I've reconditioned. These units are in excellent electrical and very good to excellent mechanical condition. Each unit I'm selling comes with spectrum analyzer verification of harmonic content and output noise. Unfortunately, I'm unable to measure and confirm phase noise.

Three of the units I'm selling are PTS040s and may be of special interest to this group. The PTS040 has the simplest design and cleanest output of the standard PTS line. As a result, the PTS040 is arguably the best-suited standard PTS model for lower frequency time and frequency applications.

These are not typical ebay units! I've sold several PTS synthesizers and control cards to well known members of this list and, on ebay, to individuals and universities (seller ID: c310driver). The units I'm selling are the result of a hobby and home project that's a bit out of hand - I suspect several folks on this list will understand how that happens and what it's like tripping over an accumulation of hardware!

Without exception, every PTS I've bought has needed attention to get it into proper operating and cosmetic condition. I've found that virtually all older PTS have noise on the output that shows up as jitter in 53132A counter readings; many have needed replacement modules, connectors, switches or chassis parts. I've used good modules and chassis parts from several synthesizers that I could not bring up to spec and have used new discrete components as necessary. I've also used modules and knobs from the parts units to extend frequency resolution for several of the reconditioned units.

A few of the units I'm selling have front panel controls. Those that are remote control only models have the standard PTS BCD interface. I've designed a simple DIP-switch control interface for the BCD interface. I will provide a simple DIP-switch controller with the remote only BCD units for an additional $45 (kit-form requiring simple through-hole assembly) or $75 (assembled).

I'm offering the following to the group in advance of posting them on ebay. Paypal OK (sorry - no credit card payments).

PTS040S7N1 1A-9427: Full 0.1 Hz resolution, NO internal reference, front panel controls, BCD interface, rear output. The front panel level set pot has one slight catch in its' otherwise smooth rotation. The catch seems to be purely mechanical has no effect on the output level. The front panel level set pots are an expensive special order carbon model and I've opted for a slight glitch in an otherwise OK pot rather than install a smooth rotating lesser alternative. This is one of the earlier serial number units that I've worked with. It also has the lowest output noise of any of the PTS040 I've measured and is in excellent cosmetic condition.

$500 + S/I.

PTS040SKN1 1A-21393: Full 0.1 Hz resolution with DDS synthesis, NO internal reference, front panel controls, BCD interface, rear output. Note: Option K DDS synthesis costs a few dB phase noise performance on the PTS040. The small additional phase noise introduced by option K DDS synthesis is below the noise level for the higher frequency PTS models. Option K is the lowest noise of the DDS options available.

$500 + S/I.

PTS040R7N1 options X-7, X-14 1A-12457: Full 0.1 Hz resolution, NO internal reference, NO front panel controls, BCD interface, rear output. Drilled for rack mount rails, fitted with TNC connectors in place of BNC connectors. I'll include TNC to BNC adapters.

$400 + S/I.

PTS500R7N10 1A-10729: Full 0.1 Hz resolution, NO internal reference, NO front panel controls, BCD interface, rear output.

$500 + S/I.

I can offer the following options with these units. OCXO/TCXO will be adjusted within factory spec using my GPS disciplined source as a reference:

1)       PTS original equipment OCXO: $250.

2)       PTS original equipment TCXO: $175.

3)       Simple DIP-switch BCD controller $45 (kit-form requiring simple through-hole assembly) or $75 (assembled) cost.