[time-nuts] 1pps signal presence with no GPS signal.

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Thu Jul 7 16:39:00 EDT 2005

From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby at onetel.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 1pps signal presence with no GPS signal.
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:06:36 +0100

> Javier wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The 1pps signal on a M12+ is switchable. It can be selected to be on all
> > time or on only when tracking at least one satellite.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Javier, EA1CRB
>
> Is turning off the 1pps, the best thing to do if controlling a crystal
> or rubidium? It seems most logical to me, so I can't understand why the
> default is to not to.

Turning of the internal PPS is a crude way to say "no signal" compared to
having it read of the GPS kit. Also, if it is not turned on normally, then the
design might not be done for it either. So, it boils down to how your locking
scheme works. For some very simple schemes, loosing the PPS is worse than the
wrong PPS.

Cheers,
Magnus