[time-nuts] Re: UTC, 60 Hz

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Jul 28 08:12:21 EDT 2005

Tom Van Baak wrote:

> You know, if the stackable TAPR module
> project catches on another PCB on the list
> could be a mains frequency monitor.
>
> It would robustly filter and divide the 50/60 Hz
> mains frequency to 1 PPS and then onboard
> compare that 1 PPS against the local (OCXO,
> atomic, or GPS) 1 PPS to a modest precision
> (say, 1 or 10 us).
>
> This would be a cheap board and then many
> of us could monitor mains phase and log it in
> a standard format. With the right software you
> could get plots like this in real-time:

I'm all for it -- maybe not as a formal TAPR project (because I suspect
the volume would be fairly low) but certainly we could share a design,
and I strongly suspect (but can't promise) that TAPR could at least make
  the boards available, if not a full kit.

Someone want to take on the design challenge?  If so, contact me
off-list and I can provide the mechanical and electrical details for the
stacked board design -- basically, it's just a standard board size with
standardized locations for up to 6 output BNCs, one input BNC, and
headers so the raw DC in and reference in can be routed to boards above
and below.

John