[time-nuts] GPS clock to RT-Linux for pulsar machine

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Fri Jul 1 18:54:49 EDT 2005

Mike Nolan wrote:

> Most of our pulsar users start on a 1 PPS driven by our maser, then we
> try to calibrate the maser offset wrt GPS as a function of time. We
> keep the maser to within 250 ns, and monitor the offset to 25 ns or
> better. If you're doing long-term timing, your users will insist on this
> sort of accuracy. And if you give it to them, they will want better...

Thanks for the input. It's not easy to find this operational
information published anywhere.

I don't expect this level of accuracy to be a requirement at our site,
since we are just extending the observed frequency range of known
pulsars. We know when to expect the pulses - your timing work makes
our job easier. Still, I'll do the best job with what equipment we
have on hand.