[time-nuts] Re: World's most accurate PC clock!

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Sun Jul 3 20:38:51 EDT 2005

From: David Forbes <dforbes at dakotacom.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Re: World's most accurate PC clock!
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 17:09:51 -0700

David,

> The telecom frequencies are 1.544 MHz = T1 bit rate, 2.048 MHz = E1
> bit rate, and they have multiples of those to make DS2, DS3 etc. DS3
> is 28 x 1.544 MHz. A telephone person could elaborate on this subject
> to no end.

Actually, a DS3 can handle 28 DS1, but the bitrate (and baudrate) is higher,
it is 44,736 MHz rather than 43,232 MHz. As you toss a number (7) of DS2
(6,312 MHz) into the DS3 you need overhead to do the bit justification and
indicate that justification is done. Some additional overhead is used for
various other purposes. The DS2 does the same thing to DS1. Thus, this is why
there is no "clean" multiples in frequency.

> [You might be able to tell that I spend way too much time factoring
> frequencies.]

Some say it is a way of life.

Cheers,
Magnus