[time-nuts] FW: Bulletin C number 30

Tom Van Baak tvb at leapsecond.com
Mon Jul 4 14:40:36 EDT 2005

> >We are finally going to have a leap second again (first one since I
bought
> >my 5071A over five years ago)...
>
> It also means that the attempt to prevent leapseconds before they
> do more damage failed...
>
> It even means we get to see how much damage they'll make...

The way I figure it if Lance Armstrong can have
one more shot at the Tour de France before he
retires then we can have one more leap second
before they are retired. ;-)

The most recent leap second (1/1/99) occurred
in the middle of the Y2K, telecom, dot-com, and
internet bubble and didn't bother anything. But as
we have discussed elsewhere, a lot of technology
has since been built that has never seen a leap
second. Then again, most of that technology doesn't
care. When in the future something like an iPod
needs to know UTC to a fraction of a second, then
we really don't want to have leap seconds.

/tvb

View a Leap Second - December 31, 1998
http://www.leapsecond.com/notes/ls-wwvb-98.htm