[time-nuts] FW: Bulletin C number 30

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Tue Jul 5 12:09:33 EDT 2005

At 10:40 AM 7/5/2005, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote...
>In message <6.2.3.4.0.20050705100343.0412ac70 at mjs.alientech.net>, Mike S writes
>:
>
>>No, you didn't. What you and Warner HAVE demonstrated is that you
>>_chose_ the wrong time coordinate system for your systems/applications.
>
>Ohh, how I wish I were in a position to tell POSIX: "Sorry, the
>time_t definition is wrong (and useless), fix it now please!".

POSIX time was (originally) designed with the assumption that it could/would be reset to track UTC. You're trying to use it for something it was never intended to provide. time_t works perfectly well for the vast majority of systems, i.e. those who didn't choose to make use of it beyond it's design. POSIX time is suited for tracking time monotonically by simply not attempting to maintain synchronization with UTC/Civil time. That's TAI (possibly with a fixed offset). Your choice, your problem. If you want to sync with the standard NTP hierarchy, NTP Autokey and ntp_gettime() are available, both of which handle leap seconds.

>And you have no idea...

I'm not the one arguing that others should address his self-created problem. Thread over. You lost.