[time-nuts] VLBI

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Thu Jul 7 01:07:04 EDT 2005

At 12:06 AM -0400 7/7/05, Tom Clark wrote:
>      [As an aside, for many years until I retired, I headed NASA's VLBI
>      program --  [3]see more about the Goddard VLBI group here. You
>      might enjoy some of my tutorials on how the VLBI stations get their
>      UTC reference time so that their measurements of UT1-UTC can be
>      derived at the catch-all repository  [4]http://gpstime.com ]
>
>    Tom Clark

Tom,

With those credentials, you must know what a Mark IV Tape Drive is.
We had one at the Submillimeter Telescope on Mt. Graham for a few
years, till they replaced it with the Mark 5 box of hard disks.

It's amazing how those things could write a hundred megabytes per
second. I never saw it in operation, but I can imagine what it was
like when the tape got loose - a mile of tape on the floor in a few
seconds.

ftp://web.haystack.edu/pub/mark4/memos/230.2.pdf

--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/