AW: [time-nuts] 1pps signal presence with no GPS signal.

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Thu Jul 7 11:03:02 EDT 2005

Hi all,

whether turning off the 1pps with no gps reception is a good idea or not
depends completely on the electronics that actually uses the 1pps for
steering. If (and only if) it is intelligent enough to identify this
condition as being a indication for no reception and falls to holdover,
then it is a good idea. Because Motorola could not know in advance what
tricky things you would put behind their receiver they cannot be blamed
for not making it a default!

If you want to play a save game, never (i.e. NEVER) use the 1pps alone.
Always check the serial TRAIM messages for validity of the 1pps. Once
you hooked up anything that can understand the receiver's serial
messages, you should seriusly question yourself if you do not want to
use the sawtooth correction value in the steering loop. Most GPDO
designs seem not to use the sawtooth correction value despite of its
extreme wealth.

Regards

Ulrich, DF6JB