[time-nuts] 1pps signal presence with no GPS signal.

Randy Warner randy at synergy-gps.com
Thu Jul 7 12:58:49 EDT 2005

Dave,

Basically, all of the responses I have seen are correct. 1PPS availability on the M12+T is controlled by the @@Gc message. This was handled by the @@En command in the older 8 channel receivers.

Setting up the 1PPS and TRAIM is a little more involved in the M12+T than it was in the VP and UT+ as you have to work with several messages in the M12+T whereas @@En controlled everything in the 8 channel units. With the M12+ you have to set the @@Gc, @@Ge, and @@Gf messages to the options you want. It does take more messages, but it gives you three short messages with fewer variables than the old @@En.

Having the 1PPS on all the time has been the default condition for all Motorola receivers. To prevent unwanted pulses from being generated, choose option 0x02 or 0x03 in the @@Gc message when you start up.

Others who want to have the 1PPS active all the time (maybe they are using the 1PPS to trigger another event) leave the 1PPS on all the time but watch the TRAIM message for an error indication, and/or the @@Ha message to make sure at least one satellite is being tracked. This way they can continue to log data, but they also record the fact that the 1PPS was running asynchronously.

Best Regards,

Randy Warner
Senior Applications Engineer
Synergy Systems, LLC